Sunday, April 12, 2009

The State of ECW address

ECW fans, wrestling fans, WWE fans, and all others listening. This is the state of ECW address as per, well me. I'll try to make this brief, but knowing me, well, you get the idea.

Wrestlemania is in the books and the draft is coming up. Where does ECW stand? ECW has Tiffany as its GM, a championship chase (again) to see who gets to tangle with Swagger at Backlash, and Evan Bourne is tearing up the scene again, toppling the likes of Tyson Kidd and the Miz and Morrison. Oh and, to add to the fun, ECW has had a crapload of clips to show, of other shows on their show. Seems like a great start to a new beginning, right? Yea...

I don't know about you, but I'm beginning to think that ECW has finally found its niche as what the WWE wants it to be: a valueless show that is only good for serving the WWE and its whims on the lowest possible level. It has become or is becoming a vehicle for getting other shows and wrestlers over. Also, its value is in question as some of its stars might be finding solace on other shows in the future with this draft.

Why in the world would you make Tiffany your interim GM? To show progression? Maybe. It's not a bad idea, but the problem is, effectively, she hasn't shown to have much savvy as a GM, let alone much brainpower. Then again, neither did Vickie Guerrero, and look how that turned out? I know it's just a toss-up or something for now, but I hope they go somewhere with it, in a positive direction, where, you know, Tommy Dreamer ends up as the new GM.

As for the championship chase, come on. How many times are we going to see this? You've got Evan Bourne waiting in the wings, and you've got Christian as a breakout star. You sure you don't know who should be the #1 contender? Oh well, I guess it just keeps things interesting. I just hope Swagger doesn't get short-changed just yet.

What, clips again? Let's hope this is the last of that. But, with WWE Superstars taking up the Raw portion of the dark matches, we won't know for sure. I would hope to see more matches again, since that's what has been establishing the ratings. Sadly, however, the ratings have been stagnant at 1.3, even with the wrestling.

Bourne, Kidd, Miz, and Morrison are proving to be the breakout stars of the show. They are proving it athletically, charismatically, and promotion-wise. If they take their leave of ECW via the draft, ECW will lose out, dramatically. However, we all knew this was going to happen eventually. So, ECW has to prepare to acquire some top talent as per this draft, otherwise, once again, ECW will be short-changed for the most part.

Now, as for the draft itself, the only possible outcome for ECW is to get a bunch of throw-away stars that might or might not succeed in the long run. That should be helpful to flesh out the roster, but who knows how long they'll remain at the top of the food chain before removal.

So, that is the state of ECW in a nutshell. It's not looking great, but I doubt it would mean ECW's demise. I say this only because of what is invested in ECW by the WWE. I don't think it's going anywhere soon, people, be it by cancellation or progression. If that's the case, let's just grin and bear it. Or just bear it. I'd say more, but I'm wiped. There isn't much more you can say about ECW now only because the draft will shake things up. That said, tune in next week as I'll analyze the draft and its results. Don't ask me what my predictions are. I'm sure what I say won't matter since the WWE isn't about giving us what we want all the time...

No comments: